My child has HAE
– learn to be your child’s HAE advocate!
HAE is passed on in families and a child has a 50 percent chance of inheriting the disease from his/her parent. The absence of a family history does not rule out the HAE diagnosis, however.
The good news is that today there are therapies available to help your child live a normal life.
When your child has HAE
- Learn all that you can about HAE
- Develop an individualized treatment plan in partnership with an HAE knowledgeable physician
- Inform people at your child’s school, extracurricular activities, and even babysitters
- Put an emergency plan in place – just in case
- Have confidence that kids and teens with HAE can live a healthy, normal life